Previously unseen messages between Meghan Markle , her father – and some claimed to be from Prince Harry – have all been unveiled ahead of a looming court battle.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have taken Associated Newspapers, owners of the Mail on Sunday, to court over a personal letter Meghan penned to her dad, Thomas Markle Snr.
In the letter, she pleads with him to stop talking about her to the press after their relationship broke down following a royal row when it emerged he had staged paparazzi photographs.
The court documents say that Thomas Markle has handed over the messages which reveal the unravelling of the pair's relationship in the lead up to the royal wedding, which were lodged by the newspaper in its own defence.
The messages published in court documents purportedly show Mr Markle's relationship crumbling with his daughter, at the time he needed heard surgery and missed his daughter's wedding.
In one, he tells Meghan she has "written him off" and in another, he accuses Prince Harry of treating his heart attack as an "inconvenience."
The messages between Meghan and her father claim he had tried multiple times to call and text her on the day of her wedding, and in the months following.
The exchange is laid out in papers filed to the High Court of London earlier this week after the Duchess launched legal action against the newspaper.
She has accused the Mail on Sunday of copyright theft after it published extracts of the letter she wrote to her dad in August 2018.
Associated Newspapers say in defence papers filed in court that Meghan Markle's claim her father Thomas Markle ignored her calls is 'misleading' as they prepare to fight her legal action
In the five-page letter, she wrote that Markle Snr had "broken her heart into a million pieces."
The text messages detailed below were outlined in court documents seen by the Mirror.
Thursday, May 10, 2018
Just over a week before the wedding, Mr Markle texted Meghan to let her know he had just dropped off some flowers at her mother’s house for Mother’s Day.
He also had texted her excitedly about the new suit and shoes she had bought him for the wedding.
According to the papers before the court, he wrote: “I look forward to trying on my shoes and see how we look thank you for getting it ready for me its probably past your bedtime so have a good night I love you Dad”.
Friday, May 11 or Saturday May 12
Meghan, Harry and Mr Markle spoke on the phone shortly before an explosive story hit the press.
It was about to emerge that Mr Markle had secretly arranged a series of paparazzi-style pictures with a photographer in March.
The pictures showed him in an internet cafe looking at a news story about Meghan's romance with Prince Harry .
But they were about to be revealed to have been staged, in a blow to the soon-to-be Sussexes' new media strategy.
Kensington Palace had issued a warning to respect Mr Markle's privacy in order to protect him, claiming he had been 'harassed' by paparazzi photographers.
However the Mail on Sunday revealed that the internet cafe pictures pictures had been taken with his cooperation.
Monday, May 14
Kensington Palace issues a statement confirming Mr Markle would not be attending his daughter's royal wedding.
The statement said: "This is a deeply personal moment for Ms Markle in the days before her wedding. She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr Markle in this difficult situation."
According to the papers filed for the court by the Mail on Sunday, Mr Markle wrote to Meghan on the day the statement was issued.
In the messages he apologised for the staged photographs saga.
He said he loved his daughter, and that he would not be attending their wedding.
He offered to make a public apology to Meghan and Harry, saying he wanted to spare his daughter any further embarassment.
According to the papers, he then received a text message in response from Prince Harry saying he did not need to apologise, and that he should call.
That same day, Mr Markle began feeling very unwell. He believed his shortness of breath and chest pains stemmed from the stress of the situation.
Later in the day, he was rushed to hospital in critical condition, and later diagnosed with suspected heart failure.
Tuesday, May 15
Mr Markle texts Meghan to say he is "back in the hospital." She responds asking him to call her.
Wednesday, May 16
Mr Markle has an emergency heart operation. According to the newspaper's defence's papers, Mr Markle then texted Meghan saying he had undergone surgery and would not be able to attend the wedding as he could not fly.
He wrote that he was sorry he would not be able to be there, telling his daughter he loved her and wished her the best.
He sent another message asking who would "be giving [her] away?"
Mr Markle added in his messages that if she really needed him he would come and that he was sorry "about all this."
Harry's father Prince Charles would later do the honours, walking Meghan down the aisle as millions watched around the world.
In response he received a text response he described as "hurtful."
According to the papers filed for the court the text message was signed "Love M and H," but it read as if it was from Harry.
It is claimed that the message admonishes Mr Markle for speaking to the press, and telling him to stop – also accusing him of causing hurt to his daughter.
The message did not ask how Mr Markle's surgery had gone or sent him well-wishes.
Mr Markle was 'deeply hurt' by the messages, according to the papers, responding: “I’ve done nothing to hurt you Meghan or anyone else I know nothing about 20 phone calls I’m sorry my heart attack is there any inconvenience for you.”
He followed with a couple more short messages not detailed in the documents.
According to the Mail on Sunday's defence, following those last messages Meghan did not speak to her father again before the wedding.
In the letter that Meghan wrote to her father that August that is at the heart of the court case, she accuses him of ignoring her attempts to contact him during the lead-up to the wedding.
She wrote: "From my phone alone, I called you over 20 times and you ignored my calls… leaving me in the days before our wedding worried, confused, shocked and absolutely blindsided."
Thursday, May 17
Kensington Palace issues a personal statement from Meghan confirming her father will not be attending the wedding.
It said: "I have always cared for my father and I hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.
"I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support. Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday.'
Saturday, May 19 – The Royal Wedding day
Meghan and Prince Harry marry, without her father's presence but with her mother Doria Ragland in attendance.
Prince Charles walks her part-way down the aisle in her father's place.
According to the documents filed by the Mail on Sunday's defence, Mr Markle attempted to contact Meghan multiple times by phone and text messages on the big day.
When he tried to call, he claims his calls were either blocked by his daughter or she had changed her number.
He claims he received no responses from her until the letter she sent him in August.
Mr Markle says he continued to text his daughter asking her to contact him.
One of the messages is included in the court papers. The November 25, 2018 message says: y, “I want to reach out to you or try to reach out to you one more time. You apparently have just written me off and now it’s telling me I guess for the rest of my life?”
He claims not to have received any communication from her since the letter at the centre of the court case, now 16 months ago.
The court case come as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle begin their bid to start a new life.
Last week they shocked the world by declaring their intention to 'step back' from royal life.
Their bombshell announcement blindsided Buckingham Palace, leading to crisis talks between senior royals including the Queen, Princes Charles and William.
The Queen has since given her blessing for the couple to begin a transition period to divide their time between Canada and Britain.
In an unusually personal statement, the Monarch said she would have preferred the couple to stay.
Source: Read Full Article