Mother, 43, who got £380 lip and cheek fillers to ‘cheer herself up’ feared she was going to die when she ended up in hospital with a blocked blood vessel and an allergic reaction that swelled her face to ‘triple its size’
- Kerry Parry, 43, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire booked a £380 package deal
- Was intended as a pick-me-up after dealing with a family member’s poor health
- Developed vascular occlusion where blocked blood vessel cuts off circulation
- Had filler dissolved but suffered anaphylactic reaction to dissolving chemical
- Was rushed to hospital with very swollen face fearing she was ‘going to die’
A mother who got lip fillers to ‘cheer herself up’ claims she nearly died when they blocked a blood vessel and caused an allergic reaction that ‘blew up’ her face until she was ‘unrecognisable’.
Kerry Parry, 43, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire opted to have a £380 package deal injection of Botox along with lip and cheek fillers two weeks ago to pick herself up after dealing with a family member’s poor health.
But she was horrified when she developed a vascular occlusion – where the filler blocks a blood vessel and cuts off the circulation – while undergoing treatment at a salon not far from her home.
In a bid to save her lip, Kerry then had the filler dissolved – however she suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction to the dissolving chemical and was rushed to hospital fearing she was ‘going to die’.
Kerry Parry, 43, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire got lip fillers to ‘cheer herself up’ but claims she nearly died when they blocked a blood vessel and caused an allergic reaction that ‘blew up’ her face until she was ‘unrecognisable’
In a bid to save her lip, Kerry then had the filler dissolved – however she suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction to the dissolving chemical and was rushed to hospital fearing she was ‘going to die’
The mobile hairdresser is now sharing images of how her whole face swelled up and her lips ballooned to ‘triple their size’ in a bid to warn others to think hard before having lip fillers done.
Kerry explained: ‘I decided to book in for a package of Botox and lip and cheek filler – I don’t know why I decided to have it done really, I was having a bit of a difficult time and just thought it might cheer me up.
‘The injector was a fully qualified nurse so I thought she knew what she was doing and trusted her. I ended up with a blocked blood vessel and almost immediately after having Hyaluronidase injected to dissolve the filler my whole face blew up and my lips tripled in size.
‘Within two minutes I was almost unrecognisable so I knew straight away that something was wrong.
‘Before I knew it I was being injected with all sorts and in an ambulance with an oxygen mask on going to hospital. I thought I was going to die.
The mother-of-two, pictured before, had only ever had Botox injected once in her late twenties before she decided to go for the £380 aesthetics package
‘It was the worst experience of my life and the most scared I’ve ever been.’
The mother-of-two had only ever had Botox injected once in her late twenties before she decided to go for the £380 aesthetics package.
She claims the beautician warned her about the risks of developing a vascular occlusion but was reassured ‘not to worry’ as it was a ‘very rare’ complication.
Even though she only had a mere 0.4milliliters of filler injected into her top lip it was enough to block a blood vessel and needed to be dissolved urgently to prevent her lip tissue from dying.
The aesthetics practitioner patch tested for an allergic reaction to the dissolving chemical Hyaluronidase but dismissed a ‘tiny’ red mark and proceeded to inject it before sending Kerry home.
Kerry, left, was so scared she was going to die she told the paramedics, ‘I have kids, I want to see them again’. Pictured right with husband James Parry, 40, and children Jack, 10, and Jessica, nine
Kerry said: ‘The injector told me to check the blood supply by pressing on my lip and said if it stays white there’s a problem and I need to come back.
‘I told her she was worrying me but she said “don’t worry I’ve been doing this for years” and I just thought it wouldn’t happen to me.
‘My lip seemed really swollen straight away after having the filler injected and I had a bruise over it but I’d never had it done before so I didn’t know what to expect and just thought it was normal.
‘But later that day I noticed that the blood flow didn’t seem right so I went back. The injector confirmed it was a vascular occlusion and said she’d need to inject the dissolving chemical.
Despite the initial patch test and only minor swelling following the first injection of the dissolving chemical, Kerry suffered a severe, life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to this second dose
The mobile hairdresser is now sharing images of how her whole face swelled up and her lips ballooned to ‘triple their size’ in a bid to warn others to think hard before having lip fillers done
‘She did a patch test on my arm and I did have a small red mark the size of a big freckle so I asked if that was okay and she said it was fine and injected it.
‘My lip swelled up straight away but I didn’t think much of it and she gave me a heat pack to help with it.’
What is a vascular occlusion?
A vascular occlusion occurs when blood is no longer able to pass through a blood vessel.
It may be caused by an internal obstruction, such as a blood clot, or a foreign body, such as filler material.
The dermal filler is either injected in or around the artery so blood flow is reduced or stopped.
If this complication occurs, there will be an immediate blanching, when the tissue turns white.
Pain is usually associate with vascular occlusion.
If no treatment is initiated to improve the vascular flow, the skin will start to appear blue. It will eventually turn black and surgery will be needed.
Treatments include injecting the area with Hyaluronidase, which dissolves dissolves Hyaluronic Acid.
The aesthetics salon issued Kerry with a £180 refund for the complication and loss of her lip filler and sent her on her way thinking the issue was resolved.
But three days later things took a turn for the worse when Kerry noticed her blood flow still wasn’t right and returned needing more Hyaluronidase to dissolve the remaining filler causing the blockage.
Despite the initial patch test and only minor swelling following the first injection of the dissolving chemical, Kerry suffered a severe, life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to this second dose.
It was so severe that she feared for her life and was terrified of leaving behind her husband James Parry, 40, and children Jack, 10, and Jessica, nine.
Kerry said: ‘After she injected me with more Hyaluronidase my whole face blew up and before I knew it the manager put an EpiPen in my leg and called an ambulance.
‘The paramedics injected me with antihistamines, put an oxygen mask on me and said they were taking me to resuscitation at hospital.
‘That made me panic really bad that I was going to stop breathing. I was so scared I was going to die and was telling the paramedics, “I have kids, I want to see them again”.’
Hospital staff kept Kerry in overnight to keep an eye on her, worried that once the antihistamines wore off she could have another reaction to the Hyaluronidase in her system.
The traumatised mum now hopes to warn others of what can happen with aesthetic injectables, insisting that it’s not worth the risk.
Kerry said: ‘You see a lot about lip filler so you just think it’s safe but from my research afterwards it seems like vascular occlusions are actually quite common.
‘You just never know what will happen and if you’ll have an allergic reaction to any of the chemicals.
‘I’m definitely never having anything done again. I’ll keep the lines and grow old gracefully.’
Source: Read Full Article