5.10pm Chelsea transfer news LIVE: Mendy £20m bid ACCEPTED, Giroud wants to stay at Blues, Declan Rice LATEST – The Sun

CHELSEA are close to securing the signature of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy from Rennes.

The Blues are hopeful of landing the stopper ahead of their season opener against Brighton on Monday night.

Sign up to play Dream Team 20/21 now

  • It's completely free to play
  • Play the tradtional Season game as well as Draft
  • There's a hefty jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
  • SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE

Get all the latest transfer gossip and updates from Stamford Bridge…

  • HANDS ON DEC

    West Ham boss David Moyes has dismissed speculation linking Declan Rice with a switch to Chelsea.

    He said: “It was always the plan that there was no intention to lose Declan Rice – we had no bids and no enquiries.

    “I can only tell you what I know, and I wouldn’t have wanted to lose him anyway.

    “He’s so important, a big part of the squad, has been captain already, and is learning a lot about leadership from Mark Noble.

    “I’m hoping in the future we have an incredibly talented footballer with leadership skills and who is motivated to be captain of West Ham.”

  • NO MOUR OR LESS

    Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has agreed with Jurgen Klopp over the Blues lavish spending this summer.

  • PICK OF THE BUNCH

    Dream Team 20/21 returns with you chance to win a huge SIX FIGURE cash prize by picking your perfect XI.

    The most popular fantasy football game on the planet is back — and your chance for a monster cash prize is just one click away.

    PLAY DREAM TEAM 20/21 TO WIN £100K NOW

  • RENN-YAY

    Chelsea have had a bid for Edouard Mendy ACCEPTED by Stade Rennais.

    The keeper is ready to fly to London to complete his deal, with personal terms already agreed.

    According to Fabrizio Romano, he is heading to London to have his medical.

  • BLUES AREN'T GOING TO POTT

    Brighton boss Graham Potter believes Chelsea have unmistakable ambitions of mounting a Premier League title challenge following their hefty summer spending spree.

    The Blues have splashed more than £200million to bring Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner, Kai Havertz, Thiago Silva, Ben Chilwell and Malang Sarr to Stamford Bridge.

    Potter said: “The intention is clear – they want to compete, they want to compete at the top.

    “They had a really good season last year in terms of finishing fourth with an embargo, introducing young players, and still managing to get into a Champions League spot was really good.

    “I am guessing for a club like Chelsea and for somebody like Frank, who has competed at the top for all of his career, that they are going to push on and try to compete for the title.

    “That's pretty much what their intention looks like.

    “They have recruited well, they've got some really good players, they've already got some really good players there so they will be a strong team, no doubt about that.”

  • BACK SEAT DRIVING

    The Premier League has slammed the government for restricting the number of fans allowed to watch matches, with a statement saying:

    With test events now capped at 1,000 supporters, we believe they will not provide any opportunity to properly test and evaluate measures designed to maximise fan safety.

    Therefore, Premier League clubs will defer holding test events until a sufficient number of fans are allowed back to enable thorough trials to take place.

    At 1,000 supporters, not only would there be little to learn from a test event, but each match would be heavily loss-making.

    For each month of the season without fans, more than £100 million is lost to football across the leagues, with consequent damage to the local and national economy.

    It also harms the employment prospects of more than 100,000 people whose jobs depend on matchday activities.

  • 'LIV TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY

    Olivier Giroud is understood to want to stay at Chelsea and fight for first-team football despite interest from Juventus.

    Giroud fired his 40th goal for France in Les Bleus' 4-2 victory over Croatia on Tuesday in warming up for the start of the new Premier League campaign.

    Chelsea have launched a major squad overhaul this summer, shelling out more than £200million on a string of high-profile recruits, not least Germany striker Timo Werner.

    But Giroud remains determined to continue his Stamford Bridge career, according to the Press Association.

    Giroud racked up seven goals in 12 games in all competitions to close last season in style, after football's resumption following the coronavirus lockdown.

    Werner's £53million arrival from RB Leipzig adds further competition alongside England striker Tammy Abraham.

  • GET YOUR FIX

    Missed Premier League football?

    It's been the shortest wait in top flight history between seasons… unless you're a Leeds fan, in which case it's been 16 years!

    Time to schedule your weekend around these fixtures.

  • MENDY UPDATE

    The Blues are closing in on their pursuit of keeper Edouard Mendy.

    Chelsea have submitted an official bid, according to Fabrizio Romano, and are confident of getting the deal done.

  • PREDICTED LINE-UPS

    Frank Lampard is ready to give Timo Werner and Kai Havertz their Chelsea debuts this weekend.

    There are no places in SunSport's predicted XI for Ben Chilwell and Hakim Ziyech, who are both injured.

    But Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Callum Hudson-Odoi could return.

  • TIMO INCOMING

    Here is all you need to know about new Chelsea man Timo Werner.

    Will the new Blues striker be in contention for the Golden Boot this season?

  • NO-GO

    Chelsea have reportedly REJECTED a swap offer for Inter Milan involving Christian Eriksen and Marcelo Brozovic for N’Golo Kante.

    Inter boss Antonio Conte is believed to be desperate to be reunited with the French international at the San Siro and has made him his No1 midfield target.

    And the Serie A side are willing to offload two of their own players in order to bring the ex-Leicester ace to Italy.

    According to the Daily Mail, they have had their bid for Kante knocked back, with the Blues having no interest in either Eriksen or Brozovic.

    It has been claimed that Frank Lampard would rather sell Jorginho ahead of the World Cup winner.

    They add that Chelsea would consider cash bids for Kante, as they look to raise funds in order to prise Declan Rice away from West Ham.

  • FACE FOR TV

    Sky Sports have revealed that Patrice Evra, Roy Keane and Micah Richards will be regular pundits on the sofa this year.

    They will join Gary Neville, Graeme Souness, Jamie Redknapp and Jamie Carragher during matches throughout the season.

    Soccer Saturday will retain regular faces Paul Merson, Chris Kamara, Sue Smith, Clinton Morrison, Alan McInally and Glen Johnson.

    They have also announced studio guests will include Adebayo Akinfenwa, Tim Sherwood, Robbie Fowler and Joleon Lescott.

  • S-KAI HIGH BONUS

    Kai Havertz allowed Bayer Leverkusen to KEEP his £9million transfer bonus to ensure he got his move to Chelsea, according to reports.

    The Blues splashed out an initial £72m on the midfielder, 21, last week and new information out of Germany outlines just how keen he was to seal the deal.

    Sport Bild detail how Havertz's interest in joining Chelsea was based around his love of manager Frank Lampard.

    The German is said to have been in contact with the former England star for a number of months.

    And the transfer came to a head in late August when Chelsea transfer fixer Marina Granovskaia sat down with Bayer Leverkusen bosses in the south of France.

    With the Premier League side happy to pay an initial £72m up front, negotiations became focused on what would trigger the additional bonus payments.

  • BADGE SCRAPPED

    Prem players have agreed to dump the Black Lives Matter slogan in favour of a new anti-racism message.

    The 20 clubs’ skippers confirmed SunSport’s report that the Black Lives Matters logo worn during last season’s restarted campaign will be replaced by the sleeve badge declaring “No Room For Racism”.

    The badge will feature on all players’ and officials’ shirts throughout the season to “act as a constant reminder of the commitment by the Premier League, its clubs, players and PGMOL to eradicate racism”.

    Players will continue to “take a knee” in support of the anti-racism movement, a gesture inspired by the death of American George Floyd at the hands of police in Minnesota earlier this summer.

    Prem bosses met with the club skippers on Thursday afternoon to get their full backing for the change.

    In a statement the League reported: “This initiative will build on the momentum created last season when, in consultation with the players, ‘Black Lives Matter’ appeared on kits for all the games following the restart.”

  • HAZARD WARNING

    Eden Hazard has infuriated Real Madrid bosses by reportedly turning up to pre-season overweight AGAIN.

    The Belgian does not appear to have learned from his mistakes after he started last season “five kilos” heavier than normal.

    According to Sport, Real Madrid are “concerned” the 29-year-old is out of shape again.

    His professionalism and commitment to the club has been called into question.

    It is understood Hazard will need “two or three weeks” to get match fit.

    But the Spanish giants have just nine days until their opening LaLiga game against Real Sociedad.

  • GOOD MORNING BLUES FANS

    Frank Lampard admits he must do better with Chelsea this season after a summer of spending.

    He said: “I didn't come into this job to fight for fourth place, although I know last year that it was an achievement and one of our goals that we set out to.

    “I didn't come in to just bring academy players into the first-team and say I made debuts for this many players, I came here to win.

    “Any club at our level has to try and tick the major boxes and recruitment is a huge part of that.

    “The pressure on me to do better than last season should be standard, regardless of anything. And that comes with the territory of this job.

    Meanwhile, Chelsea have rejected a player-plus-cash bid from Inter Milan for N’Golo Kante.

    The Telegraph claims ex-Blues boss Antonio Conte offered cash plus Marcelo Brozovic for the two-time Premier League winner.

    But Lampard has no interest in losing Kante, despite also being told Christian Eriksen is available too.

    Finally, Michy Batshuayi has rejoined Crystal Palace on loan after signing a one-year extension to his Chelsea deal.

    The Belgium international spent the second half of the 2018/19 campaign at Selhurst Park, scoring seven times in just 13 games.

    Batshuayi became Chelsea's FOURTH striker in Lampard's pecking order this summer following the big-money arrival of Timo Werner.

    And the Blues can now cash in on Batshuayi next summer after his deal was extended to 2022.

  • FRANKLY SPEAKING

    Frank Lampard admits he must do better with Chelsea this season after a summer of spending.

    He said: “I didn't come into this job to fight for fourth place, although I know last year that it was an achievement and one of our goals that we set out to. 

    “I didn't come in to just bring academy players into the first-team and say I made debuts for this many players, I came here to win.

    “Any club at our level has to try and tick the major boxes and recruitment is a huge part of that.

    “The pressure on me to do better than last season should be standard, regardless of anything. And that comes with the territory of this job.

    “I don't want to talk about us making a statement, I understand the players brought in will obviously get a lot of talk about us.

    “Last year we were very happy to achieve a finish in the Champions League positions.”

  • GONZ WITH THE WIND

    Chelsea flop Gonzalo Higuain is ready to rubber stamp a move to David Beckham's Inter Miami.

    The Argentina international is due in the United States imminently and will have to quarantine before being able to join up with Beckham's squad.

    The former Real Madrid striker isn't needed by new Juventus boss Andrea Pirlo, who wants Barcelona's Luis Suarez up-front for the Serie A champs.

    And with Beckham's team in desperate need of a world-class frontman to boost a shot shy side who've won just twice in their debut MLS season, Higuain's arrival is a massive boost.

    Following hot on the heels of former Juve team-mate Blaise Matuidi, Higuain will take up one of the club's designated player spots in South Florida.

  • KANTE BELIEVE IT

    Chelsea have rejected a player-plus-cash bid from Inter Milan for N’Golo Kante.

    The Telegraph claims ex-Blues boss Antonio Conte offered cash plus Marcelo Brozovic for the two-time Premier League winner.

    But Frank Lampard has no interest in losing Kante, despite also being told Christian Eriksen is available too.

  • GETTING SHIRTY

    Billy Gilmour has been handed Michy Batshuayi's No23 shirt after the striker joined Crystal Palace on loan.

    Chelsea announced earlier today that Gilmour would continue wearing his No47 jersey from last season.

    But the midfielder will instead rock a new number thanks to Batshuayi's Eagles switch.

  • NEW RED DEVIL

    John Barnes reckons Gareth Bale should join Man United this summer despite links with Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs.

    Barnes told BonusCodeBets: “If Gareth Bale was to come to the Premier League, I couldn’t imagine Liverpool or Chelsea wanting to sign him, especially from a financial point of view. 

    “In terms of the way he plays, Manchester City would be best suited for him, but they aren’t going to want to sign him.

    'Tottenham Hotspur is a club who he has played for before but is he the type of player that Jose Mourinho wants, I don’t think so.

    “Manchester United is probably the best club for him, but it is whether they want him despite considering his age and the salary he comes with.”

  • NO FREE RIDE

    The Premier League have launched a crackdown on illegal streaming services and IPTV ahead of the new season.

    England's top flight aims to put a stop to ALL illegal online match viewing in a bitter blow to freeloading armchair fans everywhere.

    The Prem have thrown money at the problem in a bid to finally quash the money sapping issue.

    And Scottish tech firm Visualworks have developed cutting edge software to help them in their fight, according to the Daily Record.

    The tool will warn users of the dangers of signing up to free or low price IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) services.

  • MOR PLEASE

    Atletico Madrid have rejected a £48million bid from Juventus for Chelsea flop Alvaro Morata.

    The Mail claims Andrea Pirlo is keen on bringing the Spanish striker back to Turin this summer.

    However, Atletico have only just made his loan from the Blues permanent for a whopping £58m.

    And Juventus will have to offer at least that to get their hands on Morata.

  • BRAN BACK

    Branislav Ivanovic is in talks with West Brom over a stunning Premier League return.

    The Chelsea icon has left Zenit St Petersburg and is now a free agent.

    The Telegraph claims he is in talks with West Brom over a one-year deal.

    It comes after Ivanovic revealed last month he was close to joining Everton, but the move appears to have collapsed.

    Ivanovic said: “I will probably continue my career at Everton. I received a good offer from them.

    “I will see how things will turn out.”

Source: Read Full Article