Brazil legend Pele, 81, reveals he is staying in hospital ‘for a few days’ to undergo tests after his last chemotherapy session for a colon tumour… but jokes ‘I’m just getting ready for the holiday season!’
- Pele has been undergoing treatment for a colon tumour discovered this year
- The 81-year-old said he had his final chemotherapy session for it on Thursday
- The Brazilian great won the World Cup three times in his legendary career
Brazil great Pele has revealed he will remain in a hospital in Sao Paulo ‘for a few days’ to undergo new exams on his colon tumour.
The 81-year-old Edson Arantes do Nascimento was brought to the Albert Einstein hospital this week for chemotherapy sessions to treat the tumour found during routine exams at the end of August. Pele was hospitalised for almost one month due to the surgery to remove it.
Pele said on Instagram he has been ‘having small chemotherapy sessions as part of my treatment.’ He added he had just finished the last session of 2021.
Pele provided his fans with an update on his health on Thursday after having his final chemotherapy session for a tumour on his colon
Pele, often held up as one of the greatest footballers ever, returned to hospital for follow-up treatment on his colon tumour (pictured in hospital on Wednesday with daughter Flavia)
‘I wanted to share this achievement with you. After all, every little victory is a reason to celebrate, don’t you think?’ he wrote, with a picture showing him in a hospital gown and a clenched right fist.
‘Don’t worry, I’m just getting ready for the holiday season!’
Pele won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and remains Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.
Kely Nascimento, eldest daughter of the three-time World Cup winner, gave fans an update on his health Wednesday – posting a picture of him smiling after what she called a scheduled operation, saying he will return home ‘in two or three days’.
She wrote: ‘My sister Flavia Kurtz is giving him a hug for me! In two or three days he returns home to enjoy Christmas.
‘This was not a surprise. It was already scheduled and is part of the treatment. All my gratitude, always.’
Pele, often held up as the greatest to have played the game and still Brazil’s all-time record goal-scorer, was first diagnosed with cancer back in August.
Doctors discovered the tumour in his right colon during a routine check-up.
He underwent emergency surgery in September, and spent a month recovering in hospital including a short stay on an intensive care ward.
Pele is regarded as Brazil’s greatest ever player and guided his country to three World Cups
He was released from hospital in October, and returned home to continue his recovery. Medical staff said at the time that he would undergo chemotherapy.
Pele has suffered a series of health issues over the last decade, particularly with his hip, and he cannot walk unaided.
His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.
His son Edinho said last year his father was depressed, something Pele later denied.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article