We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Celebrity SAS Who Dares Win is arguably the toughest reality show on TV and throughout the process the celebrities are subjected to physiological and physical torment. Former Strictly Come Dancing pro Brendan Cole appeared to be handling the process well but was told to hand in his number and Special Forces officer Matthew ‘Ollie’ Ollerton has cleared up the reasons for his departure.
Never miss a royal update again by signing up to the Daily Express Royal Family newsletter
Many of the contestants hand their numbers in when they realise a challenge is just too much for them.
The Special Forces officers can also decide to send recruits home if they believe their time on the show is up.
Channel 4 viewers watched Brendan’s final scenes last week and it’s clear he felt he had more to give.
However, Ollie, who helped make the call alongside his colleagues, has explained why the Strictly pro was given his marching orders.
Read more: Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins location: Best things to do
- Ant Middleton hit with Ofcom complaints about Anthea Turner comments
In an interview with Express.co.uk, Ollie explained: “It’s over a series of events, everyone is tested and that’s not just physically tested.
“It doesn’t matter if someone’s a front runner, if they’re not giving 100 percent, then it’s not good enough.
“So that could be someone at the back who’s given 110 percent and then could be someone at the front who’s given 80 percent but you know, it’s the one at the back that we’re going to favour.”
He continued: “But they’re judged all the way through, their teamwork, how they integrate, how they take orders, how they follow a detail, the process is complex.
“And then if it comes to a certain point where we feel that person is not positive, positively affecting the group, then that’s time for them to go.”
Ollie explained former Strictly pro Brendan was told to leave the process because he was “trying too hard”.
“I felt personally that some people are trying too hard,” Ollie said.
“The whole thing about Special Forces selection when you do it for real is being the grey man.
Game of Thrones star hits out at ‘ungrateful’ fans’ criticism of final [INSIGHT]
Kate Garraway given ‘great hope’ over husband’s condition says Piers [VIDEO]
Carol Kirkwood on ‘nasty injury’ that caused her to miss BBC Breakfast [INSIGHT]
“So being the grey man is someone that hides in the middle of the pack doesn’t make himself known too much.
“You know, he’s never underperforming, but he’s never over performance.
“I felt Brendan was trying a bit too hard, and he made himself stand out a bit too much. When that happens, you know, all eyes are on you then.”
Ollie spoke to Express.co.uk to discuss his latest book, Battle Ready and revealed: “The book is a real call to action for people to change and put some discipline in their life. To make lifelong changes that are going to affect the rest of their lives.
- Ant Middleton: SAS Who Dares Win star makes shock wife admission
“It’s designed from a period of isolation in my life where I put myself away for two months.
“I built some disciplines into my life which I carry onto this day and I’m sharing that with people.”
He added: “This time [in lockdown] is so valuable for people to actually make those changes.
“You know, you can’t control the outside world, forget about that. But what you can control is the inside world and we can make some really positive changes that will last a lifetime.”
Battle Ready from the Sunday Times Bestselling author and ex-special forces soldier, Ollie Ollerton is available now.
Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins continues Monday on Channel 4 at 9pm.
Source: Read Full Article