Couple recounts nightmare illness at same Dominican resort where 3 died

A Colorado couple says they came down with a nightmare illness at the same Dominican Republic resort where three guests died — and now they’re warning others about their visit.

Kaylynn Knull and her boyfriend, Tom Schwander, began experiencing mysterious symptoms at the Grand Bahia Principe resort in La Romana moments after deciding against buying a timeshare, news station KMGH reported.

They returned to their room on the June 2018 trip to find it smelled like “somebody had dumped paint everywhere.”

“We were drooling excessively,” Knull said. “My eyes would not stop watering.”

The couple asked the resort staff to switch rooms, but their health only took a turn for the worse.

Knull said she suffered from cramps so painful that “it felt like a chainsaw going through my gut.”

“That night, we both woke up soaked in sweat at like 4 in the morning and kind of terrified,” Knull said. “And we booked a flight home before the sun came up.”

Once home, the couple visited a doctor who diagnosed them with poisoning from organophosphate, which are chemicals found in insecticide, KGMH reported.

The pair took legal action against the resort after it refused to reveal what chemicals are used on the hotel’s plants or refund them, according to the news station. A lawsuit seeking $1 million in damages hasn’t been resolved.

Knull said she “can’t keep my mouth shut” now that Dominican authorities are investigating the three recent deaths at the resort.

“Because I honestly believe the truth needs to be told,” Knull told the news station. “This sounds way too similar at the same resort.”

Pennsylvania psychotherapist Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, collapsed and died on May 25 at the resort from respiratory failure.

Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, traveled from Maryland to check in the same day — and the engaged couple was discovered dead in their room five days later from the same condition.

Source: Read Full Article