Dog gets barbed hook stuck in her mouth after eating fishing tackle on sea walk

A dog owner has warned of the dangers of walking by the seaside after his three-year-old husky needed emergency treatment.

Daren Gordon said his dog Luna had to be rushed to a special clinic in the city after accidentally chowing down on a one and a half-inch metal fishing hook over the weekend.

The pet owner said he was walking Luna on the seafront hear Dundee when he heard her crunching on something.

He initially assumed that it was a crab, but then discovered a fishing line hanging from her mouth.

Darren tried to pull the line away before he realised that the hook was embedded in Luna’s bottom lip.

He told the Daily Record: "It was high tide and I was sitting on the wall and letting her play. I heard her crunching on something and ran over to see what she got a hold of.

"When I tried to pull it clear, I noticed the hook was stuck right in her lip and I realised it would have ripped her mouth if I kept tugging.

"The line was about a metre long and there was a hook on the other end too – it would have been even more dangerous if she’d swallowed it.

"But she was putting her paw on it and trying to pull it free, which could have done more damage."

He urgently sought help from passers-by and luckily met someone who had a Swiss Army knife with them, so he could slice off the trailing line.

Luna was then rushed to a veterinary clinic in Dundee for immediate treatment. X-rays taken by the vet later revealed the extent of the damage.

Specialists quickly sedated Luna and we able to carefully cut the hook free with a scalpel before stitching up the wound.

Leanne Walker, a senior nurse at the Vets Now clinic said: "Mr Gordon trimming the line away was fine, but it was definitely the right decision not to try to remove the hook.

"They always have barbs that, if pulled, can make the injury worse."

Vets Now staff have seen a worrying number of angling injuries and it can result in something more serious if the animal swallows the hook.

"Hooks can be very dangerous and often require surgery to remove them, so it is always wise to keep an eye on dogs when they are near rivers or harbours used by anglers," Leanne added.

Hundreds of dogs are reportedly injured by fish hooks every year and they are a potential death trap for other small animals, such as cats and swans.

With lockdown restrictions easing, more fishermen are expected to be back on the water over the coming weeks.

Luna’s owner Darren has backed vets’ calls for anglers to be aware of the dangers they could pose.

He said: "It’s the first time I’ve had to take Luna to the vets, so it was quite a scary experience but the staff at Vets Now were great.

"This isn’t something I’d have thought to be on the lookout for at the beach.

"Your first instinct may be to try to pull the hook out, but don’t do that, just get help if something does happen."

Source: Read Full Article