Inside eerie abandoned tunnel not used since 1964 – with bones laying on floor

An abandoned tunnel built over a century ago has been rediscovered after being boarded up for more than 50 years.

The Cwmcerwyn Tunnel in Wales was built in 1897 as part of a 17-mile railway system stretching from Port Talbot to Maesteg in South Wales.

Created by the Port Talbot Railway Company, it was mainly used to transport coal, but closed in 1964.

The uncovered section is around 925 metres long, and can be found between Maesteg and Bryn in Neath Port Talbot, North Wales Live reports.

Despite the entrance at either side being blocked off, and warnings about not exploring the abandoned site due to its potential hazards, new pictures from inside the long-forgotten tunnel have emerged.

Costing £200,000 at the time, the exterior does have traces of train track lines leading up to the front entrance.

The inside, while no tracks are still in place, has various different kinds of bricks as well as lime mortar walls in certain parts.

There are various inlays located along the route, which are tiled and have pipes running through them in two locations.

Strangely, one part of the curved walls and roof has a wooden interior.

As with all abandoned dark spaces, the area is also littered with the skeletal remains of animals.

Parts of the tunnel are flooded, although it doesn't appear to be too deep, and one part of the tunnel was rebuilt with iron supports in 1907 due to structural damage it suffered shortly after opening.

The discovery was made by Urban Explorer Luke Shires, who posts on Facebook under the name of Urbex No Limits.

He also spotted commemorative keystones at the site, which are inscribed with “PTR 1897” and secured by “brick block-walls, above which are high-level grills for ventilation”.

The tunnel was official closed on August 31, 1964.

For more of the latest news from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article