Mom fondly remembers last words of woman who fatally fell from NYC fire escape

More On:


Woman, 26, is second to fatally plunge from NYC building in a week

Woman who plunged to her death climbing between NYC rooftops ID’d

Woman, 24, falls to her death while attending East Village party

Mitt Romney knocked unconscious, suffers black eye

The heartbroken mother of the 26-year-old Bronx woman who fell to her death from a Manhattan fire escape remembered her daughter’s last words Saturday — as family members struggled to fathom how she could be the second person to die from an accidental fall in the city in just over a week.

“Mommy, I love you and I’ll see you later,” Tyler Marie Thorpe told mom Leslie Stewart, 51, Thursday evening before leaving their Soundview apartment to visit a pal in Kips Bay, the devastated parent told The Post.

Hours later, at around 1 a.m. Friday Thorpe plunged from a fifth-floor fire escape as she tried to reach the roof of the East 28th Street building, according to police. Paramedics declared her dead at the scene.

Family members said they heard on the news about a 24-year-old woman who plunged to her death last Saturday while trying to climb from one rooftop to another in the East Village.

“Nothing like that cross our minds at the time. I would never have thought something like that would happen,” said Thorpe’s grandmother Annette Davis, who lives with her daughter in the Boynton Avenue apartment. “Fire scapes are for emergency and not for parties,”

She continued: “Even her friends said they were very surprised that she wanted to join them on the fire escape. Supposedly, they were going up to the roof.”

Her granddaughter, she said, was “a very responsible young lady … This year she even did her own taxes.”

No criminality is suspected in either case, authorities said.

Still, Thorpe’s uncle James Mitchell, said the city needs to do more to prevent any more tragedies like this.

“We’ve got to stop those roof top parties that aren’t enclosed,” he said.

Family members on Saturday were in the midst of making funeral arrangements as they recalled the vibrant, creative soul who loved face-painting and Halloween, her family, and her friends.

Born at Bellevue Hospital, Thorpe lived in Manhattan until her family moved to Long Island when she was 11 years old.

She graduated from Harborfields High School in Greenlawn and attended Marymount Manhattan College for a time, her family said.

Most recently she was a server for Cutting Edge Elite, an events staffing agency in Williamsburg.

She was beginning to like her job more and more. She had lost it during the pandemic and recently it had started up again, her grandma said.

“Tyler was the kind of person who liked interacting with people of all cultures. She never judged anyone before getting to know them.” said Davis.

“She was very good girl. Never gave us any trouble, talented and a bit of a homebody,” grandmother Davis said through tears. “She did face-painting like nobody’s business … She was big on Halloween so she would do her own rendition of movie characters to herself with makeup.” Two favorites were Poison Ivy from the “Batman” films and “The Princess” from “The Mummy.”

“She liked people from all cultures,” her mom added.

Said Davis: “I want people to know. She was a beautiful young lady. She was a good girl … She was the sweetest person you wanted to meet … She loved her friends. She loved having fun … She did not judge people. Our hearts are totally broken over this.”

Thorpe, an only child, was especially close with her mom and grandmother and the three women had planned on posing for a three-generation family portrait this week, said Davis.

“Everybody is crushed. Nobody every thought this would happen to her, ” she said.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article