Navy medic Fantahun Woldesenbet 'shoots 2 sailors with rifle’ in Frederick shooting & is killed while breaking into base

A US Navy medic gunned down two sailors with a rifle before being killed when he broke into the base.

Frederick police confirmed that Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet, 38, died after the active shooting in Maryland on Tuesday morning.







The alleged suspect was a Navy Hospital Corpsman, the US Navy confirmed.

The shooter allegedly was pursuing and shooting at people as they tried to escape, sources told ABC7. Police said that he used a rifle.

When officers arrived at the scene at 8.20am, they found two male victims who had been shot and are both in critical condition.

One of the victims remains in this condition, however the second being treated and is expected to be released tomorrow.

Police Chief Jason Lando confirmed that the shooter went into a business at Riverside Tech Park, causing people inside to flee.

It was later confirmed that the the shooting took place inside of a military institution that was tied to the Navy.

He then got into his car and drove 10 minutes away to United States Army Future Command installation Fort Detrick, where he arrived at roughly 8.45am.





The military base was quickly put on lockdown. The all clear was sounded just after 10am local time.

Frederick police confirmed that personnel at the base shot the suspect and he was "down" and despite life-saving efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The base's official Twitter page confirmed that Fort Detrick police "neutralized" the shooter.

A reporter for the outlet said that both victims had life-threatening injuries and are currently at Baltimore Shock Trauma Center.

Schools were put on lockdown while the alleged shooter is still at large.

Frederick Community College issued a statement on Twitter asking everyone to "please follow the lockdown alert" adding "this is not a drill."

An ABC7 reporter was told that the case included three crime scenes – one in Frederick City, one in Frederick Country and one on the US Military ground.

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has been briefed on the situation, his communications director confirmed.

Source: Read Full Article