Metropolitan Police is putting undercover cops in every station to root out rotten cops, as a new report is set to slam the force for ‘rampant sexism and racism’ at Scotland Yard
- Force is braced for the most damning report in decades, to be released Tuesday
- Baroness Louise Casey is understood to have uncovered failings in every department she examined for the review
Scotland Yard is deploying undercover officers to catch sex predators at ‘toxic’ police stations ahead of a report which is expected to condemn the under-fire force.
The drastic measures are being taken to avoid another David Carrick or Wayne Couzens scandal, which both involved predatory firearms officers who remained in post despite multiple complaints.
The force is braced for the most damning report in decades as sources said Baroness Louise Casey’s findings, which will be published on Tuesday, will reveal rampant homophobia, sexism and racism.
Sources said its findings will be as damaging as the 1999 Macpherson report, which was commissioned in the wake of Stephen Lawrence’s murder and found institutional racism in the force. Baroness Casey is understood to have uncovered failings in every department she examined for the review, which was commissioned after Couzens raped and murdered 33-year-old Sarah Everard in 2021.
It will be published five weeks after Carrick was jailed following a 17-year campaign of rape and sexual assault.
Pictured: David Carrick. The drastic measures are being taken to avoid another David Carrick or Wayne Couzens scandal, which both involved predatory firearms officers who remained in post despite multiple complaints
Senior Met commander James Harman said the new undercover operation might have thwarted the pair, telling the Evening Standard: ‘The work of these teams using covert methods has largely been targeted against corruption, connections with criminal gangs and money changing hands.
‘They will still do that but we are also keen to target those high-end capabilities against sexual abuse and misconduct.’ Following the Carrick scandal, Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley announced an urgent review of more than 1,000 officers accused of domestic abuse or sexual offences in the past decade.
Sir Mark admitted that hundreds of officers and staff were unfit to serve but remained in the force, despite ‘disgraceful behaviour’.
This week Home Secretary Suella Braverman has been in talks with the Commissioner – who was appointed in September – about the findings of the Casey review.
Baroness Louise Casey’s findings will be published on Tuesday, five weeks after Carrick was jailed following a 17-year campaign of rape and sexual assault
The report is expected to have uncovered endemic racism and misogyny as well as examples of victims who faced violence at the hands of police officers and were failed by the force.
However it is understood that even if the report condemns Britain’s biggest police force, the Home Office will back Sir Mark’s leadership and plans to reform the Met.
Yesterday Justice Secretary Dominic Raab said the force has ‘clearly got a problem’ that needs to be tackled, telling LBC Radio: ‘We can’t duck it, we can’t pretend that this is purely an isolated officer or two. There are clearly practices that have been far too prevalent that we must face head-on.’
The interim Casey review, published in October, found hundreds of Met officers had been getting away with misconduct and crimes including domestic abuse, sexual assault and fraud.
A Home Office spokesman said: ‘The Home Secretary has been clear that culture and standards in policing must be raised in order to regain the trust and confidence of the public. We await the publication of Baroness Casey’s full report.’
A spokesman for the Casey review said it would not be commenting on the contents of the report ahead of publication. They added: ‘We would like to remind everyone that the report was commissioned in the light of the appalling facts relating to the murderer of Sarah Everard. This must be remembered.’
Source: Read Full Article