The Royal Family has been left “frustrated” by Meghan and Harry’s privacy lawsuit, a source has claimed.
It comes after the Duchess of Sussex had to apologise for “misleading” the court in her privacy case against Associated Newspapers last week.
Meghan was forced to admit that she had authorised an aide to brief the authors of a biography that was being written about her and Prince Harry at the time, despite previously denying any involvement in the matter, the Daily Mirror reports.
Details of the Sussexes’ disputed involvement in the book came out in documents submitted to the Court of Appeal last week, as Associated Newspaper challenged a ruling that the Duchess's privacy was breached in 2018 when it published extracts of a letter she wrote to her father, Thomas Markle.
The publisher's lawyers argue that the letter was always intended to be read by the wider public.
Meanwhile, a royal source told the Sunday Times: “There is frustration all the way to the top, because a lot of people told them that it was unwise to proceed with the case. Now she has been found out.
"They [the Royal Family] will think they should never have taken it to court."
Meghan was forced to apologise to the court when texts and emails exchanged between herself, Harry and Jason Knauf (their former communications secretary), about the letter to her father and the unauthorised biography Finding Freedom emerged in legal documents.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Meghan told the court: “I apologise to the court for the fact I had not remembered these exchanges… I had absolutely no wish or intention to mislead the defendant or the court.”
But the royal source added: “Before Harry and Meghan pulled the trigger, we wanted to walk them through what it would look like if it went all the way and face up to that.”
In one text sent to Knauf in August 2018, Meghan accused the Royal Family of “constantly berating” Harry by suggesting she could visit her father in Mexico, where he lives.
Lawyers for Meghan told the Sunday Times that reports of the claims were “a wholly false narrative”, while a spokesman for the couple added that the allegations were a “calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation”.
A judgement on the case is due to be handed down at a later date.
The Daily Star has contacted Buckingham Palace and representatives of the Sussexes for comment.
Source: Read Full Article