Shooting near Winnipeg police HQ overnight, suspect at large

Winnipeg police say the office tower connected to their headquarters was hit by stray gunfire after a man was shot in a nearby back alley early Thursday morning.

Police said an officer was leaving the building at 1:10 a.m. when he heard gunshots nearby.

Officers found evidence that shots were fired and someone had been hit behind the St. Regis Hotel on Garry Street, but police spokesperson Const. Jay Murray says neither a victim nor the shooter was at the scene when police arrived.

About half an hour later, a man in his 20s showed up at hospital with a gunshot wound to the upper body, said Murray.

“We’re certainly exploring the likelihood that the individual is related to the shooting,” Murray said later Thursday, adding police don’t believe officers or the headquarters were targeted.

“Bullets can fly, and they can fly for quite some distance. That’s the reality of how far a stray bullet can fly and, again, that speaks to the dangers of gun violence.”

The major crimes unit is investigating a shooting behind the St. Regis Hotel early Thursday morning.

Murray couldn’t say what led up to the shooting or how many shots were fired but noted just one bullet hit the tower connected to police headquarters.

He said interviews are underway, police are reviewing surveillance video, and investigators from the major crimes unit are speaking to the victim, who remains in stable condition in hospital.

But Murray said the victim has so far been less than co-operative with police.

“There is some challenges with dealing with this individual, which has created some complexities,” he said.

“It’s a very fluid investigation.”

The police headquarters and Garry Street were blocked off to pedestrians while police investigated Thursday morning.

There have been no arrests, and no firearms have been recovered.

Anyone with information is asked to call investigators at 204-986-6219 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS.

Source: Read Full Article